Female Genital Mutilation
On my class project I have to blog about an issue that is effecting a group of people. I am choosing to write about Female genital Mutation. Unfortunately this an ongoing dilemma that many girls from many parts of the world face. Such as Somalia, the place that I came from. I had witnessed many terrible mental and physical effect on many girls on this act. When I was young I had witnessed many girls go through female genital mutilation including me. The main reason why some cultures practice female genital mutilation is because of certain belief that it reduces a woman’s libido. This is their way of keeping their daughters safe from losing their virginity before marriage. For instance, in Somalia it is shame for a girl to have sex before marriage, and not only to her, but to her whole family. Girls were told that this is part of who they are. If they don’t get circumcise this way they will not become good girls. On the other hand when I come to this country I had witnessed so many girls go to hospital after they get married to get surgery so that they don’t feel pain during intercourse.According to World Health organization, facts about FGM are as listed
- Female genital mutilation (FGM) includes procedures that intentionally alter or cause injury to the female genital organs for non-medical reasons.
- The procedure has no health benefits for girls and women.
- Procedures can cause severe bleeding and problems urinating, and later cysts, infections, infertility as well as complications in childbirth increased risk of newborn deaths.
- About 140 million girls and women worldwide are currently living with the consequences of FGM.
- FGM is mostly carried out on young girls sometime between infancy and age 15.
- In Africa an estimated 92 million girls 10 years old and above have undergone FGM.
- FGM is a violation of the human rights of girls and women.
As I said, this issue has deep effect on my community that is why i chose to write about this issue and I hope I will help educate people about FGM.